Friday

Oil Palm Estate in Kg Tali Air

Malaysian Palm Oil Council web site says:

Malaysia currently accounts for 51 % of world palm oil production and 62% of world exports, and therefore also for 8% and 22% of the world's total production and exports of oils and fats. As the biggest producer and exporter of palm oil and palm oil products, Malaysia has an important role to play in fulfilling the growing global need for oils and fats in general.

After 6 years in Malaysia, finally I had a chance to visit the oil palm estate, at Kampung Tali Air, which is on the way to Pantai Morib. The main roads were narrow, but beautiful.

But the inner roads were rugged...

This road leads into the plantations. Throughout this trip I kept my fingers crossed and prayed that my car tyre should win this tough test. Yes, my prayers were answered!

As we visited during the Chinese New Year, the plantation was deserted. But still, we managed to talk to few laborers near the housing area.

 

Estate quarters looks like link houses, but small. The community is close knit. We heard that since British reign, toddy shops were available in each estate...

Um, wish it was open so that I could have caught some action. Just few feet away from this place, the oil palm plantation starts...

 The fruits are reddish and look very appealing...

The locals offered us boiled and sweetened palm fruits that is supposed to be a delicacy...but my metro trained taste buds refused to accept the sticky taste and I had to take enormous efforts not to spit immediately. However, politely refused to take more^^. In fact I don't even use palm oil for cooking, as it causes severe gastric.

In my next posts I will continue on Orang Asli settlement, Kampung life, and the pantai (beach).

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...