Sunday

Excess Baggage Discrepancy

After sending cargo to UK and packing things to be taken as checked baggage, we realized that in total we had 12 kg of excess baggage. When I checked the AirAsia D7 flight's excess baggage rates, I thought paying RM 20/kilo was ok. So, instead of trying to remove some of the stuff, we decided to pack up everything.

We had a shock of our life at the baggage check-in counter, when we were asked to pay RM50/kilo! I tried to tell the baggage handler that the Air Asia website quotes only RM20 as the fee. But, that person started telling me that only International excess baggage rates are RM 20, whereas rates on D7 flight to London was RM50. Now, I was speechless. What did they mean by "International rate"? And why is London not considered as International! Before I could open my mouth, the handler advised us to pay first and then go to the customer support counter to discuss about this discrepancy.

With a heavy heart, we paid the full fare and proceeded to the customer service counter with little hope. As expected, the officer at that desk was repeating the same non-sense to me about the "International Vs London" rates. Now, loosing my patience completely, I started raising my voice and demanded if I could show visit their webpage. Also, I asked why would we spend so much on excess baggage when we opt for a cheap fare flight!

First, the customer service officer fiddled with their site to prove me wrong. After several clicks, we reached to the page where I had seen RM20 as the excess baggage fee for London flights. And nowhere was it mentioned that the rates were RM50. Finally, we were taken back to the original check-in counter and were re-funded RM360!

Next time, I guess I should keep hardcopy of rates if I plan to avail any across the counter purchases!

3 comments:

Reno said...

Once again, i see a fighter. Most ppl (Malaysian) are too afraid (stupid/coward) to demand their rights. I wonder have they update their website immediately after this?

De'Little Ones said...

Luckily you checked their website beforehand and you are very sure of the price.

They should refund the money to you.

VaishVijay said...

Even as of now, they have not updated the site...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...