Tuesday

Appam Balik - Malaysian Crêpe

Yesterday at pasar malam (evening market in Malay) my daughter and I wanted to buy appam balik (traditional Malay crêpe), but the lady was just starting to light her stove, so we had to wait.

Brass Tawa

I was not hoping to take any photos, so I didn't have my DSLR with me. But, the situation was very tempting to take pictures, I'd to satisfy myself with my puny hand phone camera (Samsung BT3410).

Getting ready with the flour

Spreading

The way she swirled the flour reminded me of spreading dosai on the tawa!

Toppings

When the appam was half-way done, she sprinkled liberally with coarse groundnut and added a dash of sweet corn. Look at the appam where I've labeled 'Ratilator', it is plain without any topping. The flour was not spread evenly, which would result in soggy appam, so the seller decided that it was unfit for sale. What a professionalism!

Crispy Crêpe

Once done, she placed the crispy appam balik in this special stand! Kecil is small, and yes, 3 for RM1. There is 'besar' or large version too, which is soft, like pancakes.

Appam Balik - Besar

This appam besar is too soft and overdosed with peanuts, margarine and sweet corn. So, our choice is always the kecil, crispy version, which is also healthier, mainly because they don't add margarine!

Malaysian appam baliks are made of chickpea flour. Where as back in India, appams are made of rice and dal flour. My mom makes salty and sweet appams, sure I will be tasting it when I go home next month:)

4 comments:

Shareena said...

oh how I miss Apam Balik back home. I can't wait to go back home.. ^_^
Apam balik is the best when they put sugar and corn.. yum..yum!! ^_^

Jose Ramon Santana Vazquez said...

...traigo
sangre
de
la
tarde
herida
en
la
mano
y
una
vela
de
mi
corazón
para
invitarte
y
darte
este
alma
que
viene
para
compartir
contigo
tu
bello
blog
con
un
ramillete
de
oro
y
claveles
dentro...


desde mis
HORAS ROTAS
Y AULA DE PAZ


COMPARTIENDO ILUSION
VAISH

CON saludos de la luna al
reflejarse en el mar de la
poesía...




ESPERO SEAN DE VUESTRO AGRADO EL POST POETIZADO DE MEMORIAS DE AFRICA , CHAPLIN MONOCULO NOMBRE DE LA ROSA, ALBATROS GLADIATOR, ACEBO CUMBRES BORRASCOSAS, ENEMIGO A LAS PUERTAS, CACHORRO, FANTASMA DE LA OPERA, BLADE RUUNER ,CHOCOLATE Y CREPUSCULO 1 Y2.

José
Ramón...

Richa P Madhwani said...

you can read shayari-sms-jokes http://shayari10000.blogspot.com

Dwija {House Unseen} said...

I can't believe you took those pictures with your phone. Amazing! :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...