Wednesday

Exploring with a Friend @ Fraser Hills

After initial hiccups in planning, we succeeded in going to Fraser Hills (Pahang, Malaysia) with a friend's family. This also happens to be my first experience in hill driving. I had to pull up my car seat to almost 90 degrees and sit straight to get a better view at the bends and drive at a terribly slow pace, otherwise it was quite smooth.

Just about 90 KM from Kuala Lumpur it is hard to believe that such a peaceful and beautiful hill station exists.
My crazy partner prefers to stay indoors instead of exploring new places. Therefore, I've always had misgivings when we travel, and wondered how good it would be to travel with someone with same interest and at the same time comfortable to talk to. I guess my wish has been so strong that this time, I was blessed with wonderful experience and do things without having to argue!
View from our suite

Chirpy visitor at daybreak

Never realized moths can be colorful!

Hill view reflection

In this trip, the men and kids decided to stay indoors, where as my good friend and myself decided to 'explore' using the map. Both of us were not good in reading the map, but the town is too small, so it was rather easy to find our way.
Golf Course

Compared to the KL Butterfly park, here the butterfly park looked small and uninviting. Then the water park too was closed, but the view through the gates was fantastic.
Allen's Water - disused reservoir 

Though I enjoy walking in the jungle or plains, I do not look forward to climbing as I start sweating and loose my stamina quickly. However, when my friend urged to go on trekking, I agreed halfheartedly to take the shortest trail, but did not complete it:(
Ferns, berries, morning glory

After this disastrous attempt, we decided to drive further and see if there was anything interesting or you could just call it as 'wild goose chase'. And, we came across a viewing deck, so we pulled up to see. We saw the sign board to a waterfall and while we were considering to go there, we noticed a Caucasian stopping a car that was headed downhill and warn them of a landslide ahead.
Fish tailed palm

Watching us, a lady who was sitting nearby pointed at the Caucasian and told, 'my husband just walked to that waterfalls in the morning and he says that the roads are not good, but still the cars keep going!'. Now, I had to ask if he had taken any pictures. She assured that her husband would show us the pictures.
While taking out his camera, he told with a lighthearted banter that it took him 1 hour to go to the waterfall and 2 hrs to walk back! Soon, we learned that they were Australians and were on Malaysian roads for the past two weeks. Within few minutes we touched on various subjects such as Indian arranged marriages, waterfalls in Australia, 'grayed nomads' who cause traffic jams with their huge caravans, comparatively cheap Malaysian food price, peculiar habit of Malaysian bikers who wear the jackets as seen in the pic below (1st biker from right), lazy attitude of the staff at the resort where they were staying etc. It felt good to talk to strangers, without being stared at by my family.


Finally, we had to drag ourselves back to the resort, in the hope of coming back after a short break. But, later we were too tired and it was also rainy and getting dark, so we had to call it a day.Since childhood, going to hill stations has always been fun. Cool weather, smell of fresh grass, chillness in the air, curvy roads or um...whatever I've always felt romantic about hill stations. But, after this trip I would certainly vouch that traveling with a like-minded and understanding friend to a hill station is substantially gratifying without any romantic inclinations!
















12 comments:

Indrani said...

A great trip. Memories framed so well.

Anonymous said...

Wow - that is just gorgeous!

Unknown said...

Great tour!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

joy said...

what a wonderful post sharing your world. Thanks!

CameraCruise said...

Great post!
Beautiful photos from your great trip.
Thanks for sharing.
Mette

Unknown said...

A great place to go to. I love it.

Chubskulit Rose said...

Such a gorgeous sky you have this week.

My Sky Shots.
Have a great weekend.

Black Jack's Carol said...

Lots of interesting information in this post, and some food for thought as well. Sometimes, I guess it is just good to take a break from family :) Loved the photos, was curious about the "grayed nomads" and couldn't see what was unusual about the biker's jacket.

Minor said...

Very beautiful photos! I enjoyed them very much.

thomas said...

This is a nice place and because most of the place is government run except some resorts,service have always been poor but with that you get the old Fraser's Hill feeling.

Al said...

Great photos, that looks like a beautiful place. I love mountain driving and hiking, there's a nearby road around here that climb to 4.3km above sea level with lots of curves and no guardrails, and I've taken my little Toyota up there several times!

betty-NZ said...

Those are some really awesome shots! It looks like a great place to visit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...